· Coal mining in India constitutes a share of 80% of total mining, with the remaining 20% distributed among various raw materials such as gold, copper, iron, lead, bauxite, zinc, etc. It has been predicted that the next 4–5 years will be years of pronounced coal shortages in India.
Longwall Mining – One of three major underground coal mining methods currently in use. Employs a steal plow, or rotation drum, which is pulled mechanically back and forth across a face of coal that is usually several hundred feet long. The loosened coal falls onto a conveyor for removal from the mine.